Welcome to First Presbyterian Church of Grimes
For over 135 years, before the town of Grimes existed, we were and are a community of Faith called by Christ to share the Good News of God’s love so that all may know Jesus Christ through worship, teaching, fellowship, and support of God’s people.
This is an amazing small church that has a great treasure of members who’ve been here over 50 years, who’ve faithfully served the church. From members over age 100 to age 1, God's church here in Grimes is strong and resilient.
Please join us on Sundays
8:30 – 9:10 AM – Sunday School for all ages
9:15 AM – Worship
10:15 AM – Fellowship / Coffee time
The Advent Wreath Tradition
What is Advent?
Advent is the first Christian celebration of the liturgical year. During Advent Christians prepare for the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Advent last four Sundays leads up to Christmas.
In our church we use a Advent wreath with 5 candles to represent the Advent season.
The meaning of the Advent wreath.
The wreath is created out of evergreens, symbolizing everlasting life. Each Sunday a candle is lit in the following order.
- First Sunday the "CANDLE OF HOPE" witch is purple is let. It represents the hope that comes from God. (Romans 15:12-13)
- Second Sunday the "CANDLE OF PREPARATION" witch is purple is lit. It represents preparation meaning for us to get ready to welcome GOD. (Luke 3:4-6)
- Third Sunday the "CANDLE OF JOY" witch is pink is lit. The angels sang a message of JOY! (Luke 2:7-15)
- Fourth Sunday the "CANDLE OF LOVE" witch is purple is lit. God sent his only Son Jesus to save us. God is showing us his love for us. (John 3:16-17)
- Christmas eve the "CHRIST CANDLE " which is white is lit. It reminds us that Jesus is spotless lamb of God, sent to wash away our sins! (John 1:29 and John 3:1-8)