First Presbyterian Church Web Site Policy
March 9, 2016
Changes in technology are such that a strong and vital web presence is essential to promoting First Presbyterian Church and its ministry. Those in the community, and those traveling to or through Grimes, as well as potential new residents may utilize the web to find a new church home or place to worship, as well as information about us. A website allows First Presbyterian Church to reach these populations.
The First Presbyterian Church website shall serve as an evangelism tool as well as a means of communication with the community and members and friends of the congregation. The website shall provide information about First Presbyterian Church and its programs, ministries, and staff. Information posted to the website can come from a variety of sources within the congregation, but principally the information comes from within the ministries themselves, either by action of the associated church staff or by ministry members directly. Other information such as community links, special programs, and links to the Presbyterian Church (USA) site are encouraged. Ordinarily, the site will not have links to issue-related websites in or outside the Presbyterian Church (USA). Special care has been given to create a balance between the utility of the website and the privacy of individuals.
In order to better serve the community and members and friends of the congregation, the following recommendations as to the First Presbyterian Church website are suggested:
• Provide a welcoming, visually appealing site with information about the life of the church and the congregation
• Provide a welcome to the church by the pastors and/or session leadership
• Provide staff photos and biographical information
• Develop a calendar for church activities with contact information for these activities when available
• Develop a photo gallery of church activities
• Provide committee information
• Provide a list of church leadership/session members with contact information
• Continue to have historical information about the church
• Develop a link for the Presbits to allow online access
• Provide more information about church school, worship services, etc.
• Develop a tour of the facilities through photos
• Explain the mission and vision of the church
• Provide a map to the location
• Provide links to the PC(USA) site as well as Des Moines Presbytery and Synod of Lakes and Prairies
• Provide a benevolence/mission page
• Provide a special page for Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter season events
• Provide new member’s corner
• Provide Presbyterian Women’s page to include links to their mission projects
• Provide an “Ask it” basket for questions on Presbyterianism
RESPONSIBLE COMMITTEES AND PERSONNEL:
Communication Committee (Also possible Mission & Evangelism)
2. FPC does not endorse and is not responsible for the claims and representations made by any sites to which we provide links on our site or other sites linking to our website. FPC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the website or the information, content or materials included on this website. FPC will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of this website, including but not limited to, direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, and consequential damages. If the FPC website provides links to any external websites, and you chose to follow the links – please be aware that you may be going to sites that are beyond our control and standards. Websites external to the FPC website have their own privacy policies, and may collect data or solicit personal information. The privacy and security policies and procedures described for the FPC website do not apply to any external links. We suggest contacting these sites directly for information on their privacy and security policies.
3. The FPC Session may prescribe rules and ethical guidelines, to which the FPC website is required to conform.
4. FPC reserves the right to modify this policy at any time with or without advance notice.
Privacy Regarding Site Usage
We do not collect personal information about you unless you choose to provide that information to us with the exception of situations where SPC is required to comply with governmental, court, and law enforcement requests. We do not give, share, sell, or transfer any personal information to a third party. We do not disclose to third parties your personal information, combined personal and demographic information or information about your use of this website. Any personal contact information (name, phone number, postal address, email address, etc.,) you supply us when online will be used only to provide you with the information you requested, and/or to contact you for the event/item you inquired about.
If you sign up for a newsletter or information feed and do not want to receive emails from us in the future, please let us know by or by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in the bottom portion of the email newsletter you have received from us.
The following information must not be posted without prior written permission of the person described or depicted. This permission must be provided using the SPC Web Privacy Release form. If the person is a minor, written permission must be received from the parent or legal guardian and placed on file in the church Business Office.
1. Personal e-mail addresses of FPC staff persons, members, visitors, friends or anyone unrelated to the congregation.
2. Personal home or mobile phone numbers of SPC staff persons, members, visitors, friends or anyone unrelated to the congregation.
3. Narrative descriptions of events which include the last names of persons.
4. Photographs of adults with accompanying last names.
Whenever photographs of minors attending FPC events are published on the website, the following criteria must be observed:
1. No identifying captions will be used with any picture. In other words, no child’s name will be published with his or her picture.
2. Parent notification will be on file for all students shown in pictures.
Photographs of children and youth engaged in church-related activities may be posted on the website. No identifying information, to include but not limited to a child or youth’s name, age, address, telephone number, school, or email address, will be included with any photograph posted on the website.
Information concerning any individual’s birthday, age, wedding anniversary, illness, death, marriage, prayer requests or praises are not appropriate for posting.
Any person discovering that information about themselves or family members has been posted on the FPC website that they do not wish to remain there should contact the FPC business office by phone or e-mail. The pastoral staff, business administrator and personnel ministry will periodically review this policy and make changes as necessary.
Notification of changes to this policy
In addition to the information you provide when you use this website, we use technology to collect anonymous information about the use of the website. For example, we use technology to track how many visitors access the website, the date and time of their visit, the length of their stay, and which pages they view. We also use technology to determine which web browsers our visitors use and the address from which they accessed the site.
This technology does not identify you personally. It simply enables us to compile statistics about our visitors and their use of our website. We use this anonymous data and may share it with third parties for various reasons; for example, to improve the content and functionality of the website, to better understand the needs and interests of our visitors, and to improve our programs and ministries.
In order to collect anonymous data described in the preceding paragraph, we may use temporary “cookies” that collect the first level domain name of the user. For example, if your email address is name [at] xyz [dot] com, the cookie collects the “xyz.com” portion of your email address and the date and time you accessed this website. Cookies by themselves cannot be used to discover the identity of the user. A cookie is a small piece of information that is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies do not damage your computer. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. This enables you to decide if you want to accept it or not. Our website may use temporary or “session” cookies. These “session” cookies expire when your browser window is closed.
We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of eighteen. If you are under eighteen, please do not give us any personal data. If you have reason to believe that a child has provided personal data on this website, please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information. If you are a child under the age of eighteen and using this website, please do not give any information about yourself, such as your name, address, birth date, phone number, school or email address.
We routinely use photographs of church members and visitors on our website. We do not list names or other identifying information about the photographs. If you see a photograph on our website that you would prefer not to have appear, please contact the church office to request a deletion.
Links to other sites
This policy shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Iowa and federal law and regulation.
In order to provide these communications to these target groups, it is the policy of Faith Presbyterian Church to use the following media, when cost-effective and affordable: Church bulletin, church newsletter, church web site, e-mail, special topical letters, bulletin boards, posters, announcements from the pulpit, newspaper, school publications, telephone directory, radio and television spots. Any information prepared for these media should be reviewed by the appropriate staff before being released for publication.
It is the policy that publicity items shall appear normally in the newsletter, rather than the bulletin. Only matters of major interest to the congregation or with short response time will appear in the bulletin.